Tuesday, March 20, 2012

…making journal art…..

In the midst of my artful life as my "business", nurturing and creating my online classes and preparing for my upcoming teaching events, i have to DO art.  I find great comfort and calm and "just breathe" in my art journals, especially with watercolors.  These journal pages are filled with my "art trance" artworks and watercolors, using several mediums.
The illustration above is in a square Handbook journal where i created a watercolor look with Tombow markers. First coloring in black doodles, then adding water to spread the ink.  A water resistant black marker is used to letter and doodle.

 The following pages are from my Strathmore Visual Journal MIXED MEDIA.  Here, i whip out the Koi watercolor palette and "doodle paint"….drawing organic black lines, doodling until i have a pleasing image and letter in my "words of the moment". 
… i was thinking about and wishing i had a LOVE button for Facebook….
...more watercolor doodling, filling in shapes with the new Luminarte Silks.
…getting bold here with Ranger Distress Stains as watercolor wash, spreading around the concentrated ink with a water brush making a rich intense background.  Adding a black and white doodle and some words of course.


…daydreaming in my journal with watercolor illustrations here, anticipating an upcoming vacation.  Palm trees will be included!
…must be thinking of the ocean in these!
I religiously practice and create my art every single day.  It's what i am, it's who i am…… my numerous art journals serve as my refuge, calm, therapy,  a place for brainstorming, experimenting and playing, thinking, loving and exploring……..where i live every day.  
Do you find comfort in your art journaling? 
How does your art journal fit into your every day?  Please share!

18 comments:

  1. Love to see what you're working on these days Joanne. I can totally relate to the daily art being a refuge of calm and therapy. The portability of art journals is great too. I just created a lovely lettered 'thank you' card while on a plane, heading to the west coast to check 'skiing Whistler' off my bucket list. Looking forward to learning more lettering in the upcoming class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point Linda, PORTABILITY! Sounds like you had a nice time skiing….

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh... sigh! I just love your work! And the palm tree page... I sooo want to go there - where ever there is! hahaha... "Palm tree take me away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My art practice saves me. I use it for pain management because it changes brain chemistry and counters the negative affect that pain has on your body. I draw, write, paint, letter, journal. I love it all. I couldn't have made it thru the last five years with out art. It has been that integral to my life and mindset. I art everyday...it is my sanctuary, my happy place. I too live art as who i am, the need to create is overwhelming! I live through my art in ways my body cannot take me. It sets my mind free :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, your thoughts here are so profound. Thank you for sharing. huggs!

      Delete
  4. So beautiful. Yes, I do art journaling every day, it keeps me sane.lol I have been lettering in all my art work now. Thanks to you and your delightful class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...I create & "LETTER" everyday also...rarely missing a day. I've been so inspired by your class {and looking forward to the next} that I practice lettering right before I go to bed...it relaxes me and it's the perfect ending to any type of day! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are very inspirational,Joanne! I'm trying to do some art journalling every day too, but it isn't as big as yours each day. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne, first I'd like to say that you and your work are off the chain. I don't get to complete anything everyday because of my grandchildren but I do something everyday if only practicing different lettering.styles. I'm trying to find my niche.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! I love the distress stained one! I try to do some kind of art each day, whether it is in my art journal or on fabric. It is like my elixir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your glorious, vibrant use of colour is a reflection of your attitude to life.I Zentangle, and colour in my journal. I do it at night in front of tv.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are gorgeous Joanne! Obviously your daily practice pays off--in spades. I haven't been able to find the distress stains yet but I'm still looking. They look like such fun. Off to practice my lettering!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! All these pages are so beautiful and yummy, I want to walk into them and live there. Thanks for sharing! Now I need to paint some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much for sharing Joanne - these pages are beyond inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I wish I could have more time. I'm a mother, I work in a school I teach tennis and I write.....but I know my destiny is watercolour and art in general. Congratulations on your work. It's beautiful, colorful, inspiring and very original.

    ReplyDelete